Consider the stats behind Plentyoffish:
- Over 400,000 logins per day
- Over 10 million unique visitors per month
- About 1 billion pages served per month
- Averaging about $10,000 in revenues per day, nearly $1 million per month
- #1 Google Adsense partner outside the major sites
- Probably only growing dating website of the majors
- Started in 2003
- No. of employees: 1 - Markus
The key to Markus's success is buried in his first blog posting (emphasis mine):
I spent every waking minute when I wasn't at my day job reading, studying, and learning. I picked out "enemies" and did everything I could to defeat them which meant being bigger then them. I refused to accept defeat of any kind, and I constantly forced myself to test new things. I never tried to perfect anything it didn't matter if things didn't work 100% as long as it was good enough I would move onto the next thing. In 2003 the dating market was growing 80% a year unlike the -10% in 2006 so growth was a LOT easier. When 2004 rolled around and word of mouth REALLY kicked in and as they say the rest is history.
I look back now at how ill prepared I was, I didn't know anything about SEO, Advertising, community and I didn't even know what Venture Capital was. Just goes to show you anyone can do anything.
Nothing more to say, Markus. Couldn't be a better description of what we look for in picking our clients.